Monday 2 December 2013

The Russians are coming! Book Review by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella



My recommendation today is for semi-lovers of history, and die-hard lovers of fiction.  The series by Judith Pella entitled "The Russians" is an accurate view although fictional story of Tsarist Russia during a very troubled portion of their history.  You will follow a peasant girl and a family of the aristocracy as they work through issues of wealth and poverty, privilege and servitude, faith and self-sufficiency.  Oh, and did I mention the palace intrigues, the handsome prince and the brutal Russian winters?

I enjoyed these books (and I did read all 7 several times) because they gave me a beautiful window on a period of history that I knew very little about.  My faith was challenged as I read of the challenges to Anna's faith, the birth and growth of faith in Sergei, and the environment that both fostered and discouraged a belief in God.  Enjoy!

Our NCC library has 1-6 of these books, so quickly grab them before someone else does!  Bookworm 55

No comments:

Post a Comment