Wednesday 18 December 2013

Book Review: Glamourus Illusions by Lisa T. Bergren

When Cora Kensington learns she is the illegitimate daughter of a copper king, her life changes forever. Even as she explores Europe with her new family, she discovers that the most valuable journey is within. The first book in the Grand Tour series takes you from the farms of Montana through England and France on an adventure of forgiveness, spiritual awakening, and self-discovery.

Our Thoughts...
This wonderful series caught my eye when I saw the beautiful cover and the elegant dress. Not to mention that I've never disliked a book of Lisa T. Bergen's! I've always wanted to live in a lifestyle like in the early nineteen hundreds. The plot was enjoyable and the characters had moderate depth to them. The main character was realistic and relatable. She had many faults, as did her friends. She learned many lessons and discovered new things as she matured with God, and His wonderful plans for her and her siblings. Overall, a light and fresh read for anyone who loves historical fiction and drama.

However, there was too much drama for my taste and I felt that I was stuck in a love triangle that was probably more obsession than love. Cora overreacted a bit at times and can't seem to decide for herself and what she wants. I find that as she continues her journey,  instead of finding who she truly is and her identity, she becomes even more lost and confused because of the many suitors and 
spoiled children surrounding her. She does learn some things about life and how it isn't fair, but she seems stuck in some places and can't move on. With all said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and loved some of the spiritual scenes and especially the scenes with her and Pierre (a rich Frenchman) who really has some deep feelings for Cora at times. In the beginning I thought that he might be the antagonist and do something bad, but he was friendly and wanted what was best for Cora. I find Will to be a bit annoying with his ever changing emotions. This series was a good, fast, and light read. There are two more books to this historic series, read them!

-ShewolfLia17

No comments:

Post a Comment