Wednesday 31 December 2014

Book Review: Beguiled by Deeanne Gist

Rylee Monroe walks dogs in old-money Charleston, a part of the city recently targeted by a daring thief. Logan Woods works the crime beat for the local paper but dreams of a life as a nonfiction writer. When the string of robberies takes a strange twist, Logan sees the making of a once-in-a-lifetime book that seems to circle around this charming, eye-catching dogwalker. But pursuing the truth means ignoring that he seems to be falling for her. And what is she hiding in her past that could crack the story wide open?

My Thoughts...

Veering off into a different path of reading, I did not know what to expect when cracking open a mystery romance novel. I was interested in the first few chapters, and soon after to my disapointement, discovered that I had just turned the last page. This was my first Deeanne Gist book and also my first J. Mark Bertrand, so I curiously read this short novel. It was a lukewarm read, not too romantic, not too action packed. It had suspense and a sense of curiousness, but did not seem like a heavy book. The characters are somewhat developed, but lacked extra depth, like a drawing that is 2D, but not as good as 3D. I adored the dog walking as it was different and the lavish setting of the flapper era. The ending was also a bit much, and rushed to conclusions in the last few pages. These pages build up anticipation for the ending, but seemed overdone. Beguiled is an enjoyable, but not demanding book. Even non mystery lovers will read this one!

-ShewolfLia17



No comments:

Post a Comment